Starbranch Law
An aggressive defense Portsmouth · Dover · Hampton · Statewide

These situations can lead to the loss of your right to a firearm

When you commit a crime or are accused of one, your first thought might be that you need to avoid prison. Prison isn't the only possible punishment there is for committing a crime. In fact, you could lose your right to own a firearm.

The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act restricts the people who can own a gun in America. You may not have a gun for business or personal use if you have done any of the following.

1. You were in prison

If you were in prison for a year or longer, you will not have a right to own a gun. Any criminal act with the potential for a prison sentence of at least a year also means you'll be restricted and unable to purchase a firearm.

2. You were dishonorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces

When you're dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces, you are no longer entitled to purchase and own a gun.

3. You were subject to a restraining order

This only applies during the restraining order, but those who are involved in a court case and have a restraining order against them from an intimate partner or child may not purchase and own a gun.

4. You're in the United States illegally

If you're not in the United States with the correct documentation, you are unable to legally own a firearm.

5. You renounced your U.S. citizenship

If you renounced your citizenship, that action automatically limits your right to own a firearm lawfully in the United States.

Any time you face charges for a crime, you should be seeking a strong defense. A conviction for a crime punishable by a year in prison is only one of the reasons your gun rights can be restricted. Whether you've committed a violent crime or have renounced your citizenship, it's important that you understand how your gun rights have been or could be affected. If you don't, you could accidentally break gun laws in your state, which could lead to further penalties and a potential prison sentence.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Starbranch Law
171 Middle Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801

Phone: 603-436-5566
Fax: 603-373-8421
Map & Directions